If you’re having trouble understanding what FileMaker Server is, our custom FileMaker app experts can explain in an easy manner.
What is FileMaker Server?
The FileMaker Server can also be used for performing a few automated tasks such as Backups, Generating reports, and Saving Information in a PDF using the scripts performed in the Server. If you need assistance, we also wrote a post on Displaying the PDF in Preview Mode.
FM GO and WebDirect users connecting FileMaker Server will be counted as a User connection. These user connections need to be purchased from FileMaker for accessing the database (DB). FileMaker Pro access will not be counted as a user connection.
Important FileMaker Server Notes
- In Security, FileMaker Server has AES 256-bit encryption which can be enabled using FileMaker Pro Advanced (Developer Tool). FileMaker provides SSL which can be purchased and installed. All SSL connections will encrypt the data transfer.
- You can access FileMaker Server through external authentication via Active Directory/Open Directory.
- Make use of the other FileMaker Server Database to connect via ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) and JDBC (Java Database Connectivity). This helps to read from and write to FileMaker apps hosted by FileMaker Server. It supports up to 50 simultaneous ODBC/JDBC remote connections.
- FileMaker Server can simplify credential management by specifying OAuth 2.0 third-party authentication providers.
Features of FileMaker Server
1. Logging Top Call Statistics
This feature allows the FileMaker Server Administrator to track and maintain the record of up to 25 longest individual remote calls. Using this log file, you can investigate and pinpoint each user-specific operations on this particular server to resolve any performance issues on the Server.
2. Enhanced Security Logs
Administrators can use security-related messages to detect and investigate attempted and successful unauthorized activity and to troubleshoot problems. The log created can be filtered and sorted.
3. OAuth 2.0 support for accounts
OAuth is a third-party identity provider that has been specified in FileMaker Server to authenticate a user account.
4. More User Connection via Web
FileMaker WebDirect feature provides connections up to 500 users at the same time.Anyone who access to the internet or an intranet and with the compatible web browser can connect to FileMaker WebDirect to view, edit, sort, search records. For more on FileMaker Server, read about it on the FileMaker website.
FileMaker Server on Cloud
FileMaker now has the FileMaker Cloud for Server usage. It is a cloud-based platform for managing FileMaker apps. It provides the simple and easier performance of the FileMaker Platform without providing time and resources for maintaining the Server.
FileMaker Cloud is currently only available in the United States and Canada. The core features are:
- Speedy deployment – Does not need any hardware/software setup
- Network Security – SSL/TLS level encryption supported with automates certificate management.
- FileMaker Cloud Admin Console – Dashboard for the system and app performance
- Separate Data/Configuration Setup – FileMaker Cloud stores the Developers files as a separate file which makes the upgrades and maintenance restart much more easier.
That was FMDBSolutions offering a closer look at FileMaker Server from .
FileMaker Server Experts at FMDBSolutions
FMDBSolutions is a group of custom FileMaker app experts that know all the ins and outs of FileMaker Server. Our experienced team has written blog posts on Fixing the Server Admin Issue as well as Enabling the Web Server, both related to simplifying FileMaker Server experience.
We also perform services for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go such as integration, maintenance, and migration. Contact us right away to get in touch or get a free FileMaker consultation with our experts with our experts by clicking the box below.